Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Goin' For a Ride

Baby boy LOVES to be carried tummy-to-tummy. We started out with this black carrier that works great (Scott loves it, too):

All you can see is his tiger hat :)
But I read some scare stories online about how kids consistently carried in those "crotch danglers" for long periods of time can develop joint problems (like hip dysplasia) and I started looking at other styles. Everyone online kept raving about "ring slings": how comfortable they are to wear, how versatile, and--bonus!--you can nurse in them! That's the kicker that got me to order one in the end. I'd been saying for weeks that I would be able to get so much more done at home if I could just duct tape the kid to myself while he ate.

MUCH cuter than duct tape. (Why do I never put on makeup anymore?)

Sleepyhead

Luke is such a fan of the ring sling that it's hard to keep him awake in it. He just hunkers right down as soon as he's inside and conks out until we take him out again. I think he likes how tightly it holds him. We've gone on lots of walks now (and to church, etc.) with him in the sling and he always sleeps the whole time. When he's at his fussiest at home, it's an easy way to soothe him to sleep, too.

Little bug! (It's like my chest got pregnant this time.)

Still haven't mastered the art of feeding him in the sling yet, but it's working great as mode of transportation and nap inducer. I think the monkey is a fan.

2 comments:

  1. That's so sweet! Maybe I'll have to get one of those. Where'd you get it? And I hear a lot of babies love those. I think it really is the snugness and the fact that they're right up against you so they can hear your heartbeat and feel your warmth. Very soothing. :) And we always liked the black one for hikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, we'll definitely keep using the black one once in a while--it's really easy to use (the positioning on ring slings is a little tricky sometimes) and it's obviously easier for him to be front-facing in it once he's a little bigger.

    I got the sling from sleepingbaby.net--it's this professional seamstress in New Hampshire (I thought of you!) that custom-makes them. Everyone online in all of the "babywearing" forums says she does an amazing job, and I'm loving the sling she made me. Some of the fabrics can get kind of expensive, but I just got the French Terry with a ribbon trim and I think it was like $32 for the whole thing. She makes them to your size and includes these really detailed instructions on how to use them when she mails it to you. The home page of her website is a little cluttered, but the links along the top are really useful. I was hesitant at first to get a second carrier when we already had the black one, but after reading the stuff on her website & others I was more than convinced. :)

    ReplyDelete