I have to confess that I've always felt like the church's encouragement for women to stay home seemed a little...I don't know, limiting? Condescending? But after just 2 months of parenthood, I can completely see why. It just makes sense for one person to be at home--and at least when there's a baby on the breast, it logically needs to be mom. Historically, that was taken as a matter-of-course, but I think that the cultural mindset now is that a household can still run perfectly smoothly without that full-time home figure thanks to our modern advances. Not so. (I swear it's even harder now, thanks to the frenetic pace we all live in.) It's mind-boggling how much of a time suck the little darling is. Even now, two months down the line, I can't figure out how running a house and taking care of one little pooper can be a full-time job, but it is. I guess if you sit down to count the hours it takes every week just to keep a house livable (laundry, dishes, scrubbing, sweeping, paying bills, grocery shopping, running errands, fix-it jobs, returning calls, cooking, sorting, even just putting the TV remotes away for the hundredth time) and add a baby to the equation, it shouldn't be surprising, but it is. Little Luke is like a black hole: Everything close to him gets sucked in. Your entire day home with the baby revolves around his (still almost completely erratic) schedule, even though said schedule is a pretty unimpressive jumble of eating, sleeping, pooping, looking around, fussing, eating, and sleeping again. Scott and I both feel like we need to apologize to each other on the days we're not at work and the other one comes home to a less-than-sparkling house, but when you stop and think about it, it's an accomplishment just to have kept the kid alive another day. I saw a comment today on a friend's blog that said it better than I can:
Yes, what people generally don’t get is the safety hazard babies and toddlers are to themselves–stairs, doors, street, falling anywhere, anytime, poking fingers into sockets, putting ANYTHING into the mouth… they’re consumed with being themselves, which is innocently hazardous to their own health. So while it looks like a mom-at-home does “nothing,” the fact that the young ones survive to see the sun rise the next day is a wonderful accomplishment, service and credit to humanity.
I guess there's no shocking revelation going on here; I grew up reading a saying my mom had on the wall about how it's okay the house is messy, because the kids came first (something like this, I think). It always seemed a little cheesy to me, but today it's comforting to remember that other people think it's okay that I didn't get the laundry done because I was snuggling my boy.
![]() |
| Trying out his new hat at the park |
| Little buddy |


I complained to my aunt once after I had Michael that I felt like I could only accomplish 2 of the following 3 things a day a)get Michael dressed b) get myself dressed (including a shower) c) clean anything in my house. She said she felt the same way when she had her first son, you could get you and the baby ready but not find time to clean, clean but not get a shower or out of your pjs (we all know the baby is going to get taken care of before anything else). Now that we're facing having a second baby I'm thinking that about 1 of those 3 things will happen everyday, and I'm 100% sure that 1 thing will be dressing and feeding the kiddos!
ReplyDeleteI know, right? Personal hygiene is for single people. :P
ReplyDelete